Celebrating one million responsible drinking ambassadors
Feature 01 SEP 2017
We’re proud to have trained one million adults around the world with the knowledge they need to champion responsible drinking, through programmes including DRINKiQ and Diageo Bar Academy
Around the world, more than one million responsible drinking ambassadors have participated in our impactful training programmes, with over 466,000 adults taking part DRINKiQ training, including face-to-face training with members the Ministry of Health in countries such as Peru, law enforcement officials in countries including Thailand and taxi drivers in markets such as Ethiopia.
With the launch of a new DRINKiQ e-learning tool earlier this year, the first of its kind within the alcohol industry, we've made knowledge about alcohol more accessible, allowing anyone, anywhere to complete the training online or on their mobile phone through interactive learning. You can find the online tool here: https://www.drinkiq.com/en-gb/drinkiq-course/whats-your-drink-iq/
Since opening last year, a bespoke interactive DRINKiQ exhibit at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin has engaged over 261,000 people on the facts about alcohol to educate and empower visitors to make informed decisions when choosing to drink or not to drink. More than 346,000 people from the bartender and hospitality industry have also completed Diageo’s Bar Academy training on serving responsibly.
Carolyn Panzer, Director of Alcohol in Society at Diageo commented: “It feels great to be three years ahead of our target to reach one million people through our responsible drinking training programme.
“Each one of those people trained is equipped with information and resources that can add to the pleasure of moderate, responsible drinking for those who choose to drink and potentially reduce harmful drinking. We will accelerate our momentum and continue to expand our network of champions.”
In addition to achieving this target, we’ve continued to make progress against our other 2020 sustainability and responsibility comittments in our last financial year, with key achievements including:
- Reporting good progress against all key 2020 environmental targets
- Over 121,000 young people participating in Learning for Life, our vocational and life-skills training programme, since launch in 2008 - with more than 70% gaining permanent jobs
- Ranking 5th out of more than 5,500 listed companies in the Thomson Reuters Ix Global Diversity And Inclusion Index
- Publishing environmental footprints for five of our global brands to give consumers key information on the brands carbon and water impacts
- Publication of supplementary guideline on plastics in recognition of the increasing concern about the impact of plastics on the environment
- To date Plan W has empowered more than 300,000 women and reached more than 1.7 million people.
- Launch of five year strategic partnership with Care International
Visit our reporting centre to view our full 2017 Sustainability & Responsibility performance report